Gluten-free eating never tasted so good! Protein packed salad with quinoa, tomatoes, cucumbers. peppers and crumbled feta. Simple ingredients and amazing flavours.
Is it feeling like Spring where you are? To be honest, it is starting to feel like time to celebrate here in Ontario. Spring is a time for renewal and that includes cleaning up my act (that means my eating). That’s why recipes like this quinoa feta salad is a perfect dish for Spring, well I enjoy it all year round but cold salads tend to be a warm weather fare right?
For those of you who are interested in the health benefits of food, stay tuned, I’ll be going over that in a minute. For my readers who just love good food, carry on and scroll to the bottom for the recipe.
What we have here is a bowl packed with lean protein and combined with delicious complex carbs, that definitely do not taste like health food. I’m serious. That’s probably because of the crumbled feta, it can make anything taste amazing.
Fact: quinoa is a complete protein source (just like chicken) except it’s very low in saturated fat and it’s high in fiber. All the things your need to feel full and energized.
Fact: adding a little feta cheese boosts the protein and the flavour of any dish. All you need is one ounce for 4 grams of protein.
Fact: adding a cup (minimum) of vegetables will up the nutritional value of the dish and keep you feeling fuller, longer. More fiber, vitamines and minerals.
So, yes this is a vegetarian recipe but you’ll be happy to know that you’re getting every bit of needed protein as if you had eaten a chicken breast. Read my 5 Simple Ways to Add Protein to your Diet.
This salad is super quick to make and to make it even more easy, try cooking up a pot of quinoa and store it in the fridge. You’ll have ready-to-go protein anytime you want, without the fuss.
Here’s what you’ll need to make this recipe
- Chick peas (garbanzo beans)
- Red peppers
- Red onion
- Feta cheese (cubes or crumbles)
- Heirloom tomatoes
- Cilantro (optional)
- Sea salt
- Balsamic dressing
1. Place the quinoa and water in a pot and cook according to the instructions on the pack, about 15 minutes.
2. Let cool in the fridge.
3. Once the quinoa is cool, transfer it to a large mixing bowl.
4. Add the Chick Peas, cucumbers, tomatoes, peppers, onion, cilantro and feta.
5. Gently toss together then start to add the dressing (I use balsamic but Greek dressing is really good).
6. Once the dressing has been added toss again and transfer to a serving bowl.
7. Add some more cilantro or feta to garnish (optional).
8. Serve at once or keep in the fridge until ready to use.
You can not go wrong with this salad, add what you like. If you don’t enjoy cucumbers, don’t add them. Just make sure you have a good serving of vegetables included.
Do you have a favourite salad bowl you make quite often? I’d love to hear about it, just drop me a comment.