Are things starting to get super exciting around your place? My place is a zoo lately, with all the holiday activities happening and preparing to cook up this huge Christmas meal. It’s been awhile since I took on the daunting task of cooking for the whole family, so this is going to be quite a challenge for me. On top of the cooking and baking I have to get done before Christmas day, there’s all the regular things happening too. Let me not forget to mention the shopping and wrapping. Oh my gosh, my list is a mile long! Anyways, back to the Christmas dinner and the center of attention, the turkey. Roasting a turkey is pretty simple but it’s the turkey stuffing that’s tricky. I have tried so many different recipes for stuffing and each one was a fail. Either there’s too much weird things in it (the kids exact words) or it was too blah (my words). Finally, I hit the jack pot! Here is an easy savory turkey stuffing that seems to suit everyone (only compliments so far).
- Make this delicious Pilgrim Pie Recipe with your turkey dinner leftovers.
- Tired of the same old things, Harvest Turnip Puff makes a nice addition to any meal.
The secret to this recipe is using stale hamburg and hotdog rolls. They are sweeter than bread and make a tastier stuffing. I usually break up the rolls a day ahead and make sure they are dry. If they aren’t you can pop them into the oven at 200° for a bit (20 to 30 minutes) to dry the rolls out. Nothing worse than stuffing that’s too soggy. If you use fresh bread and add liquid that’s what happens. If you are looking for a very tasty side dish, then you might enjoy the Harvest Turnip Puff recipe too. It has converted a few turnip haters around here.
[Tweet “Easy Savory Turkey Stuffing Made with this Secret Ingredient.”]
Tip: Start your stuffing in a large saucepan first (to heat it through), this will ensure that it reaches the internal temperature is minimum of 73.89° Celsius (165° F) at the same time as the turkey and the meat won’t be dry.
This recipe calls for a dozen hamburg or hotdog rolls, but having a family that finally loves my stuffing, I have to use 3 dozen rolls! Actually, I also use up the left over stuffing for my Pilgrim Pie anyways so doesn’t matter that I have to cube up 36 rolls! The celery is optional because my boys didn’t like it in the stuffing, some people like it.
Here’s the recipe:
Easy Savory Turkey Stuffing
This is a very easy recipe, it’s simple and kid approved!
- Category: Side Dish
- 12 Hotdog or Hamburg Rolls
- 1 Medium Onion Diced Fine
- 1 Teaspoon of Savory
- 1/2 Teaspoon of Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon of Pepper
- 1/4 Cup of Butter
- 1/4 Cup of Turkey/Chicken Broth
- Optional: 1/4 Cup of Celery Sliced Finely
- Cube and dry the hotdog/hamburg rolls the day before making the stuffing.
- In a saucepan heat the butter until fully melted
- Saute the diced onions and celery slightly
- Add the cubed rolls
- Toss until butter is absorbed
- Add the seasonings
- If it’s a little too dry, add some broth but not a lot
- Once everything is heated thoroughly, remove from heat
- The stuffing is ready to go into the turkey
Another thing I should mention is if you find the stuffing too soggy, throw it onto the stove top in a saucepan again and heat on low to reduce the liquid (don’t cover) and if you ever find it too dry, a little turkey broth will do the trick to moisten it. A little trick I have often used is pouring a couple of spoonsfuls of gravy onto the stuffing. It tastes really yummy!
I think the stuffing is the best part of the meal. Pair it with some cranberries and delicious! I even enjoy a toasted stuffing and cranberry sandwich! Thanks Grandma for that idea! What is your favorite part of turkey meal?
WE HAVE GATHERED UP SOME HELPFUL SOURCES TO HELP YOU MAKE THAT PERFECT CHRISTMAS DINNER!
- T-fal A91082 Specialty Nonstick Dishwasher Safe Oven Safe Jumbo Cooker Saute Pan with Glass Lid, 5-Quart, Black
- Digital Meat Thermometer for Internal Meat Temperature ~ Use in Oven, Stove Top Cooking, Candy and the BBQ Grill – 6″ Long Slender Stainless Steel Probe
- Homwe Professional Silicone Oven Mitt – 1 Pair – Extra Long Oven Mitts with Quilted Liner for Extra Protection – Red