This easy, no nonsense pumpkin soup recipe is perfect for those chilly evenings. Fall in a bowl.
For the love of pumpkin soup
I have to admit, pumpkin wasn’t the first thing that came to mind when I thought about making (or eating) soup. It all started with one bowl of hot pumpkin soup bought at our local Metro store. You know where they have the warm foods? Ours a big old pot of simmering soup. It was pumpkin, this particular day. I was home, it was miserable out and I wanted some comfort food. My hubby brought the pumpkin soup to me and it smell amazing. A little spice was going on in that bowl, yummy but I was sceptical. There was no need, the soup was delicious and I did go back looking for more but it hasn’t been there since.
Pumpkin soup recipes
After a couple of attempts (more like five) of trying to recreate that particular flavour in my pumpkin soup, I finally nailed it! What I was doing wrong was leaving out the pumpking spice because I was worried it would taste like pie. You have to use the pumpkin spice!
There’s a few reasons I love this soup
- make with pumpkin (nice Fall food in abundance)
- it’s healthy
- it’s super easy to make
- the whole family loves it (almost)
- warms you up!
What you need for this recipe
- pumpkin puree
- chicken broth
- olive oil
- pumpkin pie spice
How to make pumpkin soup (that’s easy)
- Grate the onion and saute in oil (until onion is soft)
- Add in the pumpkin, cream and chicken broth
- Add the spices
- Stir and simmer
I’m happy to enjoy a hot bowl of soup all on its own, but some people like a carb of choice to dunk into their soup. Warm crusty bread, crackers or fresh baked buttery biscuits (my family favourite).
Easy Pumpkin Soup
Easy, Fall in a bowl! Creamy, warm and delicious soup to hit the spot when it’s chilly out side.
- Prep Time: 3 minutes
- Cook Time: 3 minutes
- Total Time: 6 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stove Top
- 1 medium onion, grated on a box grater
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (29-oz.) large can pure pumpkin (3 1/2 cups)
- 2 (14.5-oz.) cans chicken broth (or 4 cups)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- Heat olive oil in a soup pot (large saucepan) over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring, 3 minutes or until soft.
- Stir in the pure pumpkin, chicken broth, cream, pumpkin pie spice, and salt and cook, stirring occasionally, 3 minutes or until soup simmers.
- Ladle into bowls and top as desired. Store leftover soup in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
For the vegetarian version, you can use a veggie based broth instead of chicken broth.