There’s no better way for kids to thrive than when they eat real food nutrition, that includes wholesome dairy products. These super easy and delicious snacks will ensure your kids are getting their 3 a day without additives.
Here’s what you’ll learn about dairy and kids:
- why its important for kids to eat dairy (especially yogurt) as part of a healthy diet
- why you need to read the labels on your dairy products
- how to get your kids to love yogurt, even when they turn their nose up!
Why kids need dairy everyday (especially yogurt)
Kids need dairy on a daily basis and yes, they should be getting their 3 a day. The purpose is that they will get plenty of protein and calcium which helps them build strong bones, teeth and their body at a healthy weight. Yogurt is even better for them than most dairy products. Why? because they get the added benefit of probiotics (that’s good bacteria) and that keeps their little tummies feeling good and builds a stronger immune system.
Why you need to read the labels on their dairy products
One of the most important things you can do for your kids is to feed them real food. That means reading labels on the products you buy for them. Including dairy. You may think that all dairy products are created equal, but they are not. You should only be seeing ingredients that you recognize. That’s one of the many things that I love about Hans Dairy, the ingredient list on all their products contain only real food. All their products are 100% Natural Ingredients and 100% Real Dairy.
Getting your kids to love yogurt
When my kids were babies, yogurt was a daily snack for them. As they got older they weren’t grabbing for yogurt as much as they use to. Being a true advocate for this super food, I found ways (where there’s a will) to incorporate yogurt into foods they loved.
If your kids aren’t really into yogurt and tend to turn up their nose, there are fun ways you can get them to enjoy it without the drama:
- Yogurt Smoothies – kids love these little gems! My daughter’s been enjoying Hans Dairy Yogurt Smoothies instead of her breakfast and I’m ok with that. The smoothies come in 5 delicious flavours (Mango, Blueberry, Strawberry, Passion Fruit and Peach). What an assortment! There’s REAL fruit inside these drinks!
- Yogurt based veggie dips – instead of buying dips, use plain yogurt as the base and a little flavour.
- Yogurt based fruit dips – plain yogurt and honey makes the perfect dip for strawberries.
- Replace the sour cream with plain yogurt – on baked potatoes its delicious!
- Mashed potatoes using plain yogurt – creamy potatoes that are full of goodness.
The possibilities are endless really, be creative!
To make this Garlic Dill Dip, you’ll need:
- 1 cup of natural yogurt I used Dahi Natural Yogurt 3.2% from Hans Dairy
- 1 teaspoon of dill weed (dry)
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- pinch of salt
How to make it:
- In a bowl, mix the yogurt with all the spices.
- Cover and refrigerate for an hour allowing flavours to come through.
- Serve with carrots, cucumbers, broccoli or any of your kid’s favourite veggies.
This dip recipe can also be used for a delicious salad dressing as well as a garnish for your favourite wrap, yum!
You can also make a delicious dip for fruit using yogurt. All you need is a cup of natural yogurt (we love Hans Dairy Dahi) and add a sweetener of choice (its honey in our house), mix it well and let the kids dip that fruit! My daughter loves mini skewers (made with a toothpick and fruit), it’s fancy. Fancy or not, she’s eating great food, that’s what matters to this mom.
I know I’ve mentioned Hans Dairy a few times in my post and you’re all wondering why and who they are. They are absolutely new to me too so I can’t wait to share this information with you.
Hans Dairy is a family business, that is run by two sisters who are very passionate to carry on the tradition that their parents started: to have ready-to-eat products available, that weren’t readily available on the market. Their Think 100% Natural philosophy is a part of everything they do and they think about every ingredient they use,so we don’t have to. I’m sure you’ll want to know more about this family run business (and their products) so feel free to connect with them on their Facebook page or Instagram account.
A little information that may please you as it does me – Hans Dairy Yogurt Smoothies have the Foodland Ontario symbol which means all the ingredients, such as the milk and fruit are sourced locally in Ontario.
On a personal note, this is to die for! I am not kidding, the Kheer (Rice Pudding) from Hans Dairy is amazingly as good (maybe better, sorry Grandma) as my grandmother’s own made from scratch recipe. Y’all know how I am such a believer of making your own food and since this has only 3 ingredients it’s my new favourite dessert (and I can’t make it this tasty).
Another product that I found was fun to try was the Lassi (they make it in 2 different flavours: salty spiced and sweet). It’s believed that in warm climates, spices hydrate you. This may be the perfect summertime beverage, what do you think?
I’m so excited to extend this giveaway to you! Good luck 🙂
Disclosure: these delicious dairy inspired snacks have been sponsored by Hans Dairy on behalf of Ehm & Co. All opinions, as usual, are honest and my own.