This is the best ever meatloaf. It’s super easy to throw together, there’s no fillers and it’s delicious. It’s a family approved recipe that will soon become your new favourite!
In this meatloaf recipe, you’ll learn:
- that not all meatloaf recipes are created equal
- why it’s so important that you use the right ground beef
- the trick to a moist but not greasy meatloaf
- meal ideas for serving meatloaf
What is meatloaf?
You may know what meatloaf is and you may not. My better half would always turn his nose up when I would mention making meatloaf. I couldn’t for the life of me figure out why, until one day he told me about his experience with meatloaf. It was a pan of who knows what mashed together and packed into a loaf pan. Usually it consisted of yesterdays leftovers. Depending on what the leftovers where if it was good or not so good. So he wouldn’t even try it.
Friends, meatloaf around here is just that: meat in a loaf pan. There’s no surprises here. You won’t find fillers and you will only be using real food ingredients.
What type of ground is best for meatloaf
You’ll want to buy the extra lean ground beef for your meatloaf, I know you may find it a little more expensive than the medium or lean ground but you’ll have more meat to eat at the end of the cooking. Medium or regular ground beef has a lot more fat, so basically you need to cook twice as much to get enough cooked hamburger in the end. Does this make sense?
Another reason for using the extra lean ground beef is that you want a moist meatloaf not a greasy one. It’s kind of like the difference between a big juicy burger and a greasy burger. You want meaty, juicy and not the greasy fat right?
To keep the meat moist and together, you’ll add an egg and some ketchup instead of the extra fat. The egg will bind the meat together and the ketchup adds some moisture and flavour. Believe me it’s yummy!
What you won’t find in this meatloaf is fillers such as bread crumbs. Bread crumbs change the taste of the meatloaf and if you’re looking for real meat, then forego the bread crumbs.
Another way to eat meatloaf:
There’s so many great ways to eat your meatloaf besides on a plate with a baked potato and carrots. I often make a large loaf and have leftovers so we can have Meatloaf Burgers. They are beyond delicious!!
Here’s how you can make your meatloaf burgers:
- warm up a slice of meatloaf in a small pan (add a teenie bit of water to moisten the meat)
- Add a slice of cheddar cheese on the top and let it melt.
- toast a bun
- garnish with all your favourite fixings (ketchup, mustard, tomatoes, lettuce)
This is a family approved recipe and even a great idea for lunches.
What you will need for this recipe:
- 2 lbs. extra lean ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped finely
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup of ketchup
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of pepper
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- Extra ketchup for the top of the meatloaf
Here’s how you make it:
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
2. In a large bowl, mix the hamburger and all the other ingredients together
3. Press into a loaf pan
4. Top the meatloaf with more ketchup
5. Bake for about 1 hour, or until juices run clear.
If you have questions about this recipe, please drop me a comment below!